Changelog for zest.releaser
- When finding multiple version, changes or history files, pick the
one with the shortest path.
- Support project-specific hooks listed in setup.cfg.
- Getting the version from setup.py can give a traceback if the
setup.py has an error. During prerelease this would result in a
proposed version of ‘Traceback’. Now we print the traceback and
- Support svn (1.7+) checkouts that are not directly in the root. Only applies
when someone checks out a whole tree and wants to release one of the items
in a subdirectory. Fixes #27.
- Only search for files in version control. This is when finding a
history file or version.txt file. We should not edit files that
are not in our package. Fixes issue #22.
- Fixed svn tag extraction on windows: a \r could end up at the
end of every tag name. Thanks Wouter Vanden Hove for reporting it!
- Small fixes to the developers documentation and to the automatic travis CI tests configuration.
- Documentation update! Started sphinx documentation at
zestreleaser.readthedocs.org. Removed documentation from the
README and put it into sphinx.
- Actually ask if the user wants to continue with the release when
there is no MANIFEST.in. We asked for a yes/no answer, but the
question was missing.
- Improved changes/history file detection and fixed the documentation at this
point. We now recognize CHANGES, HISTORY and CHANGELOG with .rst, .txt,
.markdown and with no extension.
- Set up travis CI
integration. Our tests pass on python 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7.
- In the warning about a missing MANIFEST.in file, also suggest to
install setuptools_subversion/git, etc.
Fixes issue #4.
- Fix python 2.4 issues with tarfile by always creating a zip file.
Formerly we would only do this when using python2.4 for doing the
release, but a tarball sdist created by python2.6 could still break
when the end user is using python 2.4.
- Fixed test for unadvised egg_info commands on tag, which could
result in a ConfigParser error.
- Added some more PyPI classifiers. Tested with Python 2.4, 2,4, 2.6,
- Moved changes of 3.15 and older to docs/HISTORY.txt.
- Added GPL license text in the package.
- Updated README.txt. Added MANIFEST.in.
- In postrelease create a version number like 1.0.dev0.
- Offer to cleanup setup.cfg on the tag when releasing. You do not
want tag_build or tag_svn_revision options in a release usually.
- For convenience also print the tag checkout location when only doing
a release (instead of a fullrelease).
- Git: in pre/postrelease only check for uncommitted changes in files
that are already tracked.
- Postrelease now offers (=asks) to push your changes to the server if you’re
using hg or git.
- Support for some legacy projects, often converted from CVS, have multiple
subprojects under a single trunk. The trunk part from the top level project
isn’t erroneously stripped out anymore. Thanks to Marc Sibson for the fix.
- Added sanity check before doing a prerelease so you are warned when
you are about to commit on a tag instead of a branch (or trunk or
- Removed special handling of subversion lower than 1.7 when searching
for the history/changes file. In corner cases it may be that we
find a wrong HISTORY.txt or CHANGES.txt file when you have it buried
deep in your directory structure. Please move it to the root then,
which is the proper place for it.
- Fixed finding a history/changes file that is in a sub directory when
using subversion 1.7 or higher or bazaar.
- Note: you may need to install setuptools_subversion when you use
subversion 1.7. If you suddenly start missing files in the sdists
you upload to PyPI you definitely need it. Alternatively: set up a
proper MANIFEST.in as that method works with any version control
- Made compatible with subversion 1.7 (the only relevant change is in
the code that checks if a tags or tag directory already exists).
Earlier versions of subversion are of course still supported.
- Code repository moved to github:
- Allow specifying a tag on the command line when using lasttaglog or
lasttagdiff, to show the log or diff since that tag instead of the
latest. Useful when you are on a branch and the last tag was from
- Added lasttaglog command that list the log since the last tag.
- Fix Mercurial (hg) support. As spreaded_internal should be set
to False (as it happens with git)
- Accept a twiggle (or whatever ‘~’ is called) when searching for
headers in a changelog; seen in some packages (at least
- Also allowing CHANGES.rst and CHANGES.markdown in addition to
- No longer refuse to register and upload a package on pypi if it is
not there yet, forcing people to do this manually the first time.
Instead, we ask the question and simply have ‘No’ as the default
answer. If you specify an answer, we require exactly typing ‘yes’
or ‘no’. The idea is still to avoid making it too easy to release
an internal package on pypi by accident. [maurits]
- When the package that is being released neither has a setup.py nor a
setup.cfg, use No as default answer for creating a checkout of the
- For (pypi) output, also show the first few lines instead of only the
- See if pypirc or setup.cfg has a [zest.releaser] section with option
release = yes/no. During the release stage, this influences the
default answer when asked if you want to make a checkout of the tag.
The default when not set, is ‘yes’. You may want to set this to
‘no’ if most of the time you only make releaser of internal packages
for customers and only need the tag.
- Specify bazaar (bzr) tag numbers using the ‘tag’ revision specifier
(like ‘tag:0.1‘) instead of only the tag number (0.1) to add
compatibility with earlier bzr versions (tested with 2.0.2).
- Read pypi config not only from the .pypirc file, but also from the
setup.cfg file of the package. Patch by Erico Andrei.
- experimental support for git svn tagging, fully test-covered
- fail if no tag was created, not test-covered
- svn available_tags method: intercept ‘Repository moved’ note in svn
info and stop processing then.
- Fixed check that tested whether a package was already available on
pypi, as the pypi implementation changed slightly. We now just
check for a 404 status. Patch by Wolfgang Schnerring.
- Added extra entry point for the release step: after_checkout.
When this is run, the middle entry point has been handled, the tag
has been made, a checkout of that tag has been made and we are now
in that checkout directory. Idea: Jan-Wijbrand Kolman.
- Fix: in the zest.releaser.releaser.after entry point data, pass the
‘tagdir’ value (if a checkout has been made). Patch by Wolfgang
- Fixed tests to also pass with slightly newer git.
- Small tweak: allowing zc.rst2’s “rst2 html” in addition to docutils’ own
- Fix : when running ‘release’ with python2.6 against a private egg server,
the distutils ‘register’ command would run against PyPI
while ‘upload’ command would run against private server.
(-r option needs to be stated twice)
- Again at the end of a fullrelease report the location of the
directory containing the checkout of the tag, if it has been made.
- Also allowing CHANGES in addition to HISTORY.txt and CHANGES.txt
as a history filename. Keeps several Django packages happy.
- A version='1.0', string inside the setup() call no longer has
non-pep8 spaces around the =. Fixes
- Got rid of ugly setup.py hack with UltraMagicString that was meant
to avoid encoding errors when registering this package at pypi but
which was not working for python2.4 (at least with collective.dist).
Only ascii is allowed in the long_description if you want to avoid
problems at one point or another.
- Treat CHANGES.txt and HISTORY.txt the same: the first that is found
in a directory is chosen for changing, instead of first looking
everywhere for a HISTORY.txt and then for a CHANGES.txt.
- Always build zip files if using python2.4 [do3cc]
- bugfix: added ‘spreaded_internal’ property to BaseVersionControl
objects, so filefind() does not exclude a directory just because
there is no ‘.git’ folder in it. It still excludes directory where
there is no ‘.svn’ folder in SVN repositories. [vincent]
- Fixed test failures when run on a computer with a new style pypi
config. We now always use an old style config when running the
- Fixed the release command for hg 1.1 (e.g. Ubuntu 9.04).
- Replaced commands.getoutput() with a system() function grabbed from buildout
on suggestion by Adam Groszer. Goal: make zest.releaser work also on
- Improved entry point documentation.
- Added launchpad bugtracker at https://bugs.launchpad.net/zest.releaser (and
pointing at that in the documentation).
- Added documentation for entry points. [reinout]
- Added support for extension by means of entry points. There is no
documentation that advertises it yet as I want to treat it as experimental
till I’ve used it a few times. [reinout]
- Fixed mercurial sdist creation. [reinout]
- A missing history file does not result anymore in a keyerror in prerelease.
- Added lots of test output normalization so that errors aren’t hidden by
the large number of ... in the doctests. [reinout]
- Added /tag besides /tags for subversion [gotcha]
- Fixed tests failures. [gotcha]
- Added support for git. [reinout]
- Lots of internal refactoring and small fixes. [reinout]
- Started tests. zest.releaser went from 0 to 94% coverage. [reinout]
- Uploading to multiple package indexes should now work in python2.6
(though ironically it now does not work for me on python2.4, but that
has nothing to do with zest.releaser.) Added documentation for this.
- Make sure the next version suggestion for 1.0rc6 is 1.0rc7.
- In subversion, first try to get the package from the setup.py before
falling back to the svn info, just like for mercurial. This fixes
the problem that e.g. Products.feedfeeder was not recognized as
being on pypi as the svn directory name was feedfeeder.
- Umlauts in a changelog don’t break the logger anymore when using python2.6.2
when the umlauts turn up in the diff. This is due to a 2.6.2 regression
bug, see http://bugs.python.org/issue5170. Should be fixed in 2.6.3 when it
comes out. [reinout]
- (Release 2.9 and 2.9.1 are unreleased because of a setuptools bug with,
sigh, non-ascii characters which made a dirty setup.py hack necessary).
- Fixed the release command when used in a french environment.
In French “svn info” returns ‘URL :’, not ‘URL:’.
- Before asking setup.py for its version or name, first run egg_info,
as that may get rid of some warnings that otherwise end up in the
extracted version or name, like UserWarnings.
- Small change: the questions don’t print a newline anymore after the question
(and before the user pressed enter). This makes it clearer if enter has
been pressed yet. Suggestion by jkolman. [reinout]
- Revert to previous behaviour: when a package has not been released
yet on pypi, decline to register it: the first time should be
deliberate and manual, to avoid accidentally uploading client
packages to pypi.
- Factored release.py out into a new pypi.py, solving a few possible
problems with missing or misconfigured .pypirc files. [maurits]
- Fixed release script when the .pypirc file does not contain a
distutils section or that section does not contain a index-servers
- Fix lasttagdiff command to work with Mercurial by truncating the ‘+’
character from the revision id, since that only indicates uncommitted
- Make sure we find package/name/HISTORY.txt before we find
- Fixed checking for self.internal_filename: we would incorrectly
check (‘.’, ‘s’, ‘v’, ‘n’) instead of ‘.svn’. [maurits]
- Added tag_url method to get lasttagdiff (and zest.stabilizer)
working again. [maurits]
- Merged kteague-multi-vcs branch with, woohoo, mercurial support! [reinout]
- Mercurial support by Kevin Teague. [kteague]
- postrelease put a space in the new version number in
setup.py (between version number and dev). Removed this
space as it is not necessary (in best case). [icemac]
- Also looking for CHANGES in addition to HISTORY.txt and
CHANGES.txt as some packages use that convention. [reinout]
- Added lasttagdiff command that shows the diff between the last release
and the currently committed trunk. Handy for checking whether the changelog
is up to date. [reinout]
- When doing a fullrelease and if the release step made a checkout of the tag
into an temp directory, that temp directory is again printed after
fullrelease finishes. Otherwise you’ve got to do a lot of scrolling.
- When the found history file contains no version headings, look for a
second history file: more than once I have the standard
docs/HISTORY.txt that paster creates and I just add a pointer there
to the real package/name/HISTORY.txt. [maurits]
- A `` version = ‘1.0’,`` in setup.py is now also rewritten
correctly. Previously just a version = '1.0' would be injected,
so without indentation and comma. [reinout]
- Ask before checking out the tag. Sometimes the checkout is huge and
you know you don’t want it. You don’t get asked for a pypi upload,
though if you don’t check out the tag. [reinout]
- ‘release’ now also makes a tag checkout in a temporary directory.
- Made ‘longtest’ work on Linux as there the command is ‘rst2html’ and
apparently on the Mac it is ‘rst2html.py’. [maurits]
- Added ‘longtest’ command that renders a setup.py’s long description
and opens it in a web browser. [reinout]
- Supporting alternative history version header format: ‘version - date’.
- Patch by Michael Howitz: sys.executable is used instead of a string that
doesn’t work on every system. [reinout]
- Changed y/n into Y/n, so defaulting to ‘yes’. [reinout]
- Improved the documentation. [reinout]
- When a yes/no question is asked, do not treat ‘no’ as the default
but explicitly ask for an input – it was too easy to press enter
and wrongly expect ‘yes’ as default. [maurits]
- Fixed missing import of utils. [maurits]
- Moved stabilize script to zest.stabilizer so that zest.releaser is just for
releasing individual packages. Nice, tidy, reusable. [reinout]
- Allowing ‘-v’ option on all commands: it gives you debug-level logging.
- We now prefer the version from setup.py over any version.txt file
found. When getting or changing the version we get/change the
setup.py version when it differs from the found version.txt version.
- Cleaned out zest-specific stuff. Cleaned up ‘release’. [reinout]
- Stabilize looks up the most recent tag of our development packages and uses
gp.svndevelop to allow svn checkouts as development eggs. [reinout]
- Do not look for version.txt in directories that are not handled by
subversion. Use case: Products.feedfeeder, which has a buildout.cfg
and so can have a parts directory with lots of version.txt files...
- release: offer to register and upload the egg to the cheese shop.
After that you still have the option to upload to our own tgz
- postrelease: for the suggestion of a new version simply try add 1 to
the last character in the version; the previous logic failed for
example for ‘1.0b3’. [maurits]
- prerelease: ask user to enter next version (give him a suggestion).
Handy when you want to change ‘1.0b3 dev’ into ‘1.0’. [maurits]
- Started ‘stabilize’. [reinout]
- fullrelease: change back to the original directory after each
pre/actual/post release step. [maurits]
- release: switch back to original directory when ready to fix ‘commit
to tag’ error. [maurits]
- prerelease: quit when no version is found. [maurits]
- Reverted sleeping fix from 0.7 as it did not work. [maurits]
- fullrelease: hopefully fix a ‘commit on tag’ bug by sleeping three
seconds before doing the post release. [maurits]
- Added fullrelease script that does a prerelease, actual release and
post release in one go. [maurits]
- Factored part of prerelease.check_version() out into
utils.cleanup_version(). We now use that while setting the version
in the history during postrelease. [maurits]
- Add newline at the end of the generated version.txt. [maurits]
- Made the logging userfriendly.
- Postrelease: Better injection of history. Various other robustness fixes.
- postrelease: added suggestion for new version (a plain enter is enough to
accept it). [reinout]
- prerelease: ask before changing version + solidified regex for heading
- prerelease: detect non-development versions better and change them.
- prerelease: made the commit message read: ‘Preparing release xxx’.
- postrelease: made the new version something like ‘1.0 dev’.
- postrelease: we now add some lines to the history now. [maurits]
- prerelease: try changing the version to a non-development version,
stripping off something like ‘(...)’. [maurits]
- release: Refactored so release.py has the ‘main’ function required
by setup.py. [maurits]
- Got a basic version of the prerelease script working (version check, history
file updating, committing). [reinout]
- Started by copying the guidelines script. [reinout]